Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Linplum

House (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Linplum

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 56413

Site Number NT57SE 22

NGR NT 5535 7030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56413

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Garvald And Bara
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57SE 22 5535 7030

For (successor and present) Linplum House (NT 55470 70417), see NT57SE 89.00.

(NT 5535 7030) Linplum (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1969)

Only much-reduced fragments of the S, E and W walls of the ancient mansion house of Linplum remain, together with parts of the S and W walls of the garden which was attached to this building. Linplum was square, with a tower at its N end, (nothing of this part survives, however); from the thickness and general appearance of the remains, it would appear to have been a place of considerable strength and size. Formerly a residence of the Hay family, it was occupied by the farmers of Linplum prior to the erection of the present farmhouse.

Name Book 1853

This site falls in a walled kitchen garden. No trace of the mansion house is to be seen.

Visited by OS (JP) 8 July 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions