Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gilmerton House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Gilmerton House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 56292

Site Number NT57NW 20

NGR NT 54919 77750

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56292

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Athelstaneford
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57NW 20.00 54919 77750.

(NT 54919 77750) Gilmerton House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1968)

Gilmerton is a large mansion which as been altered and added to during the last two centuries.

J Small 1883

A large house, the greater part of which appears no older than the 18th c, of no great architectural merit.

Visited by OS (BS) 15 July 1975

Gilmerton House was built in the 1750s for Sir David Kinloch. John Aitken was the mason. The only later additions are by William Burn in 1828.

C McWilliam 1978

Architecture Notes

NT57NW 20.00 54919 77750

NT57NW 20.01 54799 77600 Lodge and Gate Piers

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: William Burn 1828-29 (alterations and additions)

John Aitken - mason 1750's.

Activities

Photographic Survey (17 May 1960)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in May 1960.

Photographic Survey (May 1962)

Survey of the entrance hall in Gilmerton House after a fire, East Lothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions