Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Athelstaneford, Main Street, Dovecot

Dovecot (16th Century)

Site Name Athelstaneford, Main Street, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Athelstaneford Dovecot; Althelstaneford Castle; Athelstaneford Church Dovecot

Canmore ID 56286

Site Number NT57NW 15

NGR NT 53265 77374

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56286

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Athelstaneford
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57NW 15 53265 77374.

(NT 53265 77374) Dovecot (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

Dovecot, Athelstaneford: This lectern-type dovecot measures 15 ft 6 ins by 15 ft 9 ins, with a slate roof and crowstepped gables. The random rubble walls are 3 ft 6 ins thick, partly harled, with dressings and two string courses. The door, in the W wall, has a wooden lock; above it is inscribed 'C H 1583'. There are fourteen entry holes midway up the roof, and remains of three in an opening in the S wall below the eaves. There were once perhaps 600 nests but only 52 remain.

D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963; J Whitaker 1938; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1912

As described. The roof has partly collapsed.

Visited by OS (BS) 14 July 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (30 June 1912)

Within a field north of the parish manse is a dovecot 15 ½ feet square and some 25 feet in height, which is built in three stages of irregularly coursed freestone and covered with a lean-to roof. On the lintel of the doorway in the west wall is inscribed in relief, within a panel, the initials G H and the date 1583.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 30 June 1912.

Photographic Survey (September 1960 - October 1961)

Photographic survey of dovecots in East Lothian by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1960-1.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions