Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Grumbeg

Cup Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Grumbeg

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Canmore ID 5619

Site Number NC63NW 31

NGR NC 63460 38370

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5619

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC63NW 31 6346 3837.

(NC 6346 3837) Cup-marked Stone (NR).

OS 6"map, (1964)

A cup-marked stone was found in the burial place of Grumbeg in September 1905. It was standing upright at the head of a grave and protruded 6ins above the ground. It is evidently a fragment of a larger slab and would appear to have been moved to its present position from elsewhere (Mackay 1906).

The stone of micaceous schist is triangular in shape, measuring 20ins by 18ins and 4ins thick, and bears three well-defined cup-marks about 3ins diameter and 1ins deep, and another less well defined marking towards the base (RCAHMS 1911).

The stone was located in 1961, and was laid face down in the graveyard in 1971 (Information from Ms notes of A S Henshall, 11 August 1971).

A Mackay 1906; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited bu OS (W D J) 13 May 1961.

According to Mr MacLennan (Shepherd, Grumbeg, Strathnaver) this cup-marked stone was removed "some years ago" and placed in the museum at Bettyhill.

Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1977.

Activities

Note (5 December 2019)

Date Fieldwork Started: 05/12/2019

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location Notes: The panel is displayed in the Strathnaver Museum (Bettyhill) along with two other (not pre-historic) carved stones also removed from Grumbeg.

Panel Notes: The panel is flat slab of grey mica schist, 0.55m x 0.48m x 0.09m thick. It has four well formed cups, one shallower than the other three. Two of the deeper cups are near to the edge of the stone and part of the rock between each cup and the edge appears to have been broken away.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions