Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gifford, Main Street, Yester Parish Church And Hearse House

Church (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Gifford, Main Street, Yester Parish Church And Hearse House

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland; Duns Road; Gifford Kirk; War Memorial

Canmore ID 56132

Site Number NT56NW 3

NGR NT 53482 68104

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56132

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Yester
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT56NW 3.00 53482 68104

(NT 53482 68104) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map (1970).

NT56NW 3.01 Centred NT 53505 68124 Graveyard

NT56NW 3.02 NT 53517 68130 Mort House (Hearse House)

For (predecessor) St Bathan's Church (NT 54457 67131), see NT56NW 4.

Gifford Parish Church was completed in 1710, superseding that at Bothans (NT56NW 4). Within it are preserved several pieces of ecclesiastical furniture removed from the old church.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913

This church is still in use.

Visited by OS (BS) 22 July 1975.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, contains, among the 'uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton', and numbered 40, vol 1, a Ground Plan of the old church of Yester, South of Gifford, signed Dunfermline, Decr. 1817, by A Morton.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions