Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Addinston

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Long Cist(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name Addinston

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Long Cist(S) (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 56027

Site Number NT55SW 11

NGR NT 519 523

NGR Description NT c. 519 523

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56027

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT55SW 11 c. 519 523

What appears to be a Christian unenclosed cemetery sited upon a pagan burial area was excavation by Lord Rosehill in 1870 at Farm Park (centred at NT 5190 5230 from local information - visited by OS (RDL) 8 November 1963), Addinston. Although some had been destroyed by ploughing, about twenty cists were found, but doubltless many more still undiscovered.

As a rule, the cists were long, oriented E-W, and contained inhumations. Several short cists, containing contracted inhumations, but no artifacts were also found, as were two or three cremation burials, covered by cairns - one, shown on plan, consisted of a heap of burnt stones 2' high, surrounded by a great deal of charcoal and covered many burnt human and animal bones (c/f NT06NW 1).

Two long cists, found during ploughing, were excavated in February 1967. They contained inhumations. Sited at NT 5190 5237, they appear to be towards the NW extremity of the site, but this could only be confirmed by further excavations. A local legend of the site having been that of a leper colony is not borne out by the anatomical report.

Lord Rosehill 1873; C Thomas 1971; J C Wallace 1969

No further information.

Visited by OS (SFS) 21 August 1975

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions