Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lauder Tower

Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lauder Tower

Classification Tower (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 55857

Site Number NT54NW 30

NGR NT 530 475

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT54NW 30 530 475.

No trace of Lauder Tower was seen in 1792. Its site was pointed out at that time by an old local inhabitant, who remembered parts of it standing, in what is now Tower Garden, close by the E side of the present Lauder Church (NT 5309 4752). The Tower is mentioned in 1473. (Information from Family Roll of Sir Thomas Dick-Lauder)

A Thomson 1903

The ruins of the Tower of Lauder were pulled down between 1699 and 1701. No trace remains, apart from the name 'Tower', given to the gardens which occupy the site. A "Manor Place, Tower, Fortalice, House, Yard and Orchards", the town-dwelling and strength of the Lauder family, the hereditary bailies, are noted. (Lauder: NT 53 47)

W M'Conachie 1913

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions