Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lauder Barns

Pit Enclosure (Prehistoric)

Site Name Lauder Barns

Classification Pit Enclosure (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Leader Water

Canmore ID 55837

Site Number NT54NW 12

NGR NT 5452 4620

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55837

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT54NW 12 5452 4620.

(Centred NT 5455 4618) Polygonal ?stockaded enclosure of postholes.

Visited with AG 16 September 1949.

Information from J K St Joseph 1949.

No trace of this enclosure was seen during field investigation.

Visited by OS (JD) 25 April 1955

Previous field report confirmed. Traces of rig-and- furrow traverse the area from SW to NE.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 October 1962.

Cropmarks have revealed an oval enclosure defined by closely-spaced pits in a field to the SW of the A68 public road and the Leader Water. It measures about 80m from NW to SE by 70m transversely and appears to have been constructed in straight sections; the facets are particularly noticeable on the SW. Within the NE quadrant of the enclosure a small horseshoe-shaped setting of pits can also be seen. This is open-ended to the SSE, and the two pits marking the terminals on either side of the gap appear to be the largest.

The enclosure is plotted as a large ritual enclosure on a distribution map of Neolithic monuments covering southern Scotland.

Information from RCAHMS (ARG), 3 April 1998.

RCAHMS 1997.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions