Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, St William's Well

Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Melrose, St William's Well

Classification Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 55757

Site Number NT53SW 48

NGR NT 5484 3391

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55757

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 48 5484 3391

(NT 5484 3391) St William's Well is listed by Thomson among wells in Melrose bearing the names of Catholic saints. Walker lists it among holy wells.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (G Thomson); J R Walker 1883

"St William's Well": This name was originally collected as "William's Well" and later amended. It was a covered spring with a pump and supplied the south part of the town.

OS Name Book 1859.

St William's Well was filled in in the spring of 1905.

J M MacKinlay 1908.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions