Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose Abbey, Tile Kiln

Tile Kiln (Medieval)

Site Name Melrose Abbey, Tile Kiln

Classification Tile Kiln (Medieval)

Canmore ID 55753

Site Number NT53SW 44

NGR NT 5273 3260

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55753

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 44 5273 3260.

(NT 5273 3260) Pile of Stones (NAT)

OS 6" map (1967)

The fine series of glazed floor tiles, in situ, at Melrose Abbey were undoubtedly made by the Cistercians. Milne (A Milne 1743) notes that "a little to the south of Darnick is a place called the Tile-house, where they made their tile, and a great deal of it is sometimes found there". A field called 'Tylehouse Park' appears on a manuscript plan of 1819, and on other documents held at Abbotsford.

When visited by a group from Glasgow University's Archaeology Department, no signs of claypits or tile fragments could be found, though clay, which could have been used for tile making is exposed in the banks of the stream which separates the field from Rhymer's Glen. It was also noticed that foundations were in fact present at the feature called 'Pile of Stones' by the OS, and it is suggested that these represent the remains of the 'Tile- house'.

It is hoped that an excavation will take place later in the year.

E Talbot 1976

Activities

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions