Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Darnick, Tower Road, Fisher's Tower

House (18th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Darnick, Tower Road, Fisher's Tower

Classification House (18th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Darnick Village; Darnick Tower, Ruined Tower

Canmore ID 55717

Site Number NT53SW 11

NGR NT 53204 34339

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55717

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 11 53204 34339

Not to be confused with Darnick, Tower Road, Darnick Tower (NT 5321 3437), for which see NT53SW 14.

See also NT53SW 18.

(NT 5320 3434) Tower (NR)

OS 25" map (1964)

The dilapidated remains of a tower which belonged to the Fisher family. The eastern half,measuring 22' 8" by 22' 3", dates from the 16th century. The western half was built or rebuilt in the 17th century and in or about the 18th century both parts were remodelled as a two-storyed house with an attic. The east gable contains two gun-loops. The entrance in the centre of the north wall has provision for two doors. The building is now roofless and the interior is gutted but the external walls stand to their original height.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 January 1961.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1933

This roofless building is generally as described. It measures 11.8 m (E-W) by 6.9 m with walling varying in thickness from 1.0 m to 1.5 m.

Surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 March 1977.

Site Management (13 March 2009)

Rectangular roofless structure of 16th and 17th century origin, remodelled in 18th century as a two-storey house. North and south walls and east gable stand to near full height. West Gable is ruinous. North side, central entrance with monogram HW on lintel. 2 small windows, those at centre and left of 18th century date, that to the left of 16th century date, lengthened in 18th century. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions