Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Earlston, Church Street, Earlston Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Medieval), War Memorial(S) (20th Century), Bell (17th Century)

Site Name Earlston, Church Street, Earlston Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Medieval), War Memorial(S) (20th Century), Bell (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaques And Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 55555

Site Number NT53NE 69

NGR NT 58059 38756

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Earlston
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53NE 69.00 58059 38756

NT53NE 69.01 Centred NT 58068 38737 Churchyard

Earlston parish church was built in 1736; it was repaired and considerably enlarged in 1834.

Name Book 1857

The church referred to in the ONB was taken down some twenty years ago. Built into the porch of the present church is a red sandstone slab, bearing a Maltese cross in low relief, found in the E wall of the old church. Another stone, also from the old church, is inscribed in modern lettering: 'AULD RYMR(S) RACE LYEES IN THIS PLACE'. Tradition connects it with a still older church. The inscription is said to have been recut in 1782. The old bell, cast by Jan Burgerhuys of Middlesburgh in 1609, is in the church tower.

RCAHMS 1915.

Architecture Notes

Architect: James Runciman, wright


Mellerstain, Muniment Room

Page 221 (1058). January 9 1735. Estimate for building a new church at Earlston. What it will take to build a new church conform to a plan from Edinburgh laying aside the stiple (sic) and other ornaments. Sg. James Runciman.

Bundle VII Estate Management

Accompt payment of the materials for plastering the New Church at Earlston together with Mr Baillie's retiring room provided and done by James Runciman, wright at Edinburgh.


Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions