Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Riddell

Country House (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Riddell

Classification Country House (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Riddell Policies; Riddell Tower

Canmore ID 55483

Site Number NT52SW 3

NGR NT 51710 24562

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55483

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lilliesleaf
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT52SW 3.00 51710 24562

For motte, mausoleum and park bridge, see NT52SW 2, NT52SW 10, NT52SW 11 respectively. Not to be confused with the General's Tower at NT 5201 2488 (NT52SW 3.06).

NT52SW 3.01 5156 2446 Riddell, Estate Offices Farmhouse; Offices; Architectural Fragments

NT52SW 3.02 5159 2450 Riddell, Mill Watermill

NT52SW 3.03 51660 24437 Riddell, Stables Stables; Farmsteading

NT52SW 3.04 51677 24544 Riddell, Deer Larder Deer Larder

NT52SW 3.05 51764 24476 Riddell, Park Bridge Bridge

NT52SW 3.06 52019 24887 Riddell, The General's Tower Tower

NT52SW 3.07 5148 2434 Riddell, West Lodge Lodge

NT52SW 3.08 5147 2432 Riddell, Kennels Kennels

1. (NT5170 2455) It may have been about the 14th century that the first stone peel tower was built at Riddell. The fire which destroyed the house in December 1943 revealed a remnant of this first stronghold. In the southwest corner of the now empty shell is a fragment of massive old masonry with the huge arch of a kitchen fireplace. This represents all that remains of the mediaeval tower. On the first storey there is a doorway with sixteenth century moulding. On the east side of the tower the original walls have been removed, probably in the seventeenth century, when the house was extended far out in that direction, making a long southerly front, probably of two storeys. By this time the main entrance was in the east gable; its aperture, long since built over, is still visible. In the eighteenth century a third storey was added and a northwest wing. The main entrance was transfered to the north side and afterwards to the south. The nineteenth century developments included a northeast wing and a corridor serving it along the north wall of the building.

Visited by OS (SW) 1 October 1954; J Mackenzie 1949

This house is now derelict and in a dangerous condition. Only the shell remains, obscured by debris and young saplings. The remains appear to conform to the description by OS (SW).

Part-revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 September 1965

The roofless shell of this country house, which incorporates the remains of Riddell Tower, is situated within an area of mature woodland a short distance NE of Riddell steading. Apart from the E wall, which has been completely removed, substantial portions of the tower still survive to gable height within the fabric of the later house; it was probably built on an L-plan. The house also sustains evidence of extensive modification and remodelling.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 27 September 1993

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions