Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hassendean Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Hassendean Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway

Canmore ID 55479

Site Number NT52SW 14.01

NGR NT 54811 20394

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55479

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Minto
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT52SW 14 54811 20394

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes Hassendean Railway Station as the 'First station on the Hawick Branch of the North British Railway from Hawick. Consisting of a dwelling house and suitible offices attached'.

Name Book 1862

(Location cited as NT 548 203). Hassendean Station, opened 1849 by the North British Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station. The main offices are on the up platform in a small 2-storey stone building with the platform entrance at first-floor level. On the down platform there is a wooden shelter with an awning. Linking the platforms is a wooden footbrodge, braced with iron. At the south end is a brick underbridge with a masonry arch ring.

J R Hume 1976.

NT 5478 2038The station buildings remain intact, but are disused and in a poor state of repair. The footbridge appears dangerous, and bears warning notices to that effect, while the trackbed has been infilled between the platforms.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS), 28 September 1993.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Carlisle (main) line ('the 'Waverley route') of the North British Rly. was opened on 1 November 1849 and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 6 January 1969.

R V J Butt 1995.

Stone with slated roof and brick with a slated roof, the station buildings have now been rebuilt for domestic use and are occupied, on land owned by the Duke of Buccleuch. The footbridge has been renewed and the platforms were staggered.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2006

Architecture Notes

Station opened 1.11.1849, closed 6.1.1969

Activities

Trial Trench

Prior to a small development, a programme of arcghaeological works consisting of an evaluation and a Level 1 Historic Building Recording excercise was undertaken. Historical records indicate that the medieval village of Hassendean was located here. The field evaluation consisted of 3 trenches totalling 30 linear metres. No significant archaeological features were identified. The building survey recorded a single railway platform associated with the sidings at Hassendean Station. The railway was constructed in 1849 and closed in 1969. No other upstanding buildings remained within the development area.

Source: AOC Archaeology (DW)

Funder: Edwin Thompson Chartered Surveyors

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions