Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Minto House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Minto House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Craigmount School; Craigmont School; Minto Estate; Deaf Enterprises Limited

Canmore ID 55453

Site Number NT52SE 11

NGR NT 57220 20459

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Minto
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

(NT 5722 2046) Minto House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1938)

The remains of the border peel at Minto, destroyed by Hertford in 1545, are incorporated in the present Minto House, erected in 1814.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (D Aitken); T Hannan 1928; A Harvey 1930

No further information discovered. Minto House appears to be entirely modern, with no visible indications of antiquity. It is now in use as a school for girls (Craigmount).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 September 1965

Minto House is to be demolished.

Information from The Scotsman 29 July 1970

Architecture Notes

NT52SE 11.01 5724 2067 Residential Block/Huts

NT52SE 11.02 5720 2066 Gymnasium/Stables

NT52SE 11.03 5713 2074 Laundry Cottage

NT52SE 11.04 57165 20494 Terrace Garden

See also NT52SE 43 Stables

NT52SE 8 Church and Graveyard

Demolished

ARCHITECT: William Adam, repairing and building, 1740's

Archibald Elliot, 1814

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1894 - 1906 - garden terraces etc.

NMRS REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh survey

Bin 26, Bag 2 Aitken & Turnbull, Hawick 1960

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new outbuildings

Bin 37, Bag 1 Dick Peddie & MacKay 1967

Scheme for Alterations

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh Dick Peddie & MacKay n.d. (c.1970)

PRINTS AND DRAWINGS:

Lorimer Collection - drawings of Minto House

A complete set of photostats of original drawings was deposited in the Record by Lord Minto, 1965. A bound volume of these original drawings by Alexander Elliott is held in the NMRS Print Room (missing at time of upgrade, 23.11.1998)

Photostats of plans RXD 267/2, 6, 7, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25 and 26 were checked against the building prior to demolition to detemine alterations and differences in the house as built. These annotated plans are filed with the originals. (At time of upgrade, these are not filed with the photostat negatives, but are possibly with the missing originals)

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Alterations at Minto House.

Payments to Robert Bunyan, mason for taking down the Jamb House and making of new closets.

Account Book of Walter, Earl of Tarras.

1687 - 1691 GD 157/692

'A Particular account of money disbursed to workmen and for materials'.

Payments to quarriers, masons, wrights and slaters for improvements and repair work carried out at Minto House and Estate and at Harden.

Account Book of Walter, Earl of Tarras.

1687 - 1691 GD 157/682

[*Walter Scott of Highchester 1644 - 1693 created Earl of Tarras].

Marble chimney hearths [at Minto House].

Payment of (Scots pounds)9 to Robert Bunyan and his son, for 10 days work building hearths for 4 chimneys and laying them before with marble and fitting them with pigs.

Account Book of Walter, Earl of Tarras.

1687 GD 157/682

BODLEIAN LIBRARY

MS Gough Maps 39 fol.28, late 18th Century - tinted plan and elevation

NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

Salton Papers, Box 28 F1 - plans of new farm buildings

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographs of the exterior of Minto House, Roxburghshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions