Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hallrule

Tower House (Medieval), Village (Medieval)

Site Name Hallrule

Classification Tower House (Medieval), Village (Medieval)

Canmore ID 55324

Site Number NT51SE 31

NGR NT 59 14

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55324

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hobkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT51SE 31 59 14

Pitcairn states that in 1502 Hallrule or Hawroull was held by George Turnbull. Its 'town' was one of those burned by the Marquis of Dorset in 1523, and by the Armstrongs of Liddesdale in 1544. The 'town' is again mentioned in 1632.

R Pitcairn 1833; OPS 1851

Hallrule Tower was burnt and dismantled by the English in 1545. (Hallrule Farm: buildings at NT 593 140)

G Tancred 1907

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions