Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hawthornside

Pele House (Medieval), Tower (Medieval)

Site Name Hawthornside

Classification Pele House (Medieval), Tower (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Peel Knowe

Canmore ID 55321

Site Number NT51SE 29

NGR NT 565 121

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hobkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT51SE 29 565 121

A tower or peel formerly stood at Hawthornside, formerly known as Hangingside. 'The name Peel-knowe (Peel Knowe, at NT 565 121) draws attention to the spot on which it stood, but not a stone is left to mark its exact site. The present farmhouse was built from the stones of the tower...'

G Tancred 1907

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions