Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cavers

Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Site Name Cavers

Classification Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 55297

Site Number NT51NW 8

NGR NT 5407 1564

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55297

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Cavers
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT51NW 8 5407 1564.

(NT 54071564) CROSS (NR)

OS 6" map (1923)

Cross, Cavers. All that is left of this cross is the moulded base which lies in pieces, held together by a metal band, within the policies of Cavers House (RCAHMS 1956 No. 131) and less than 100 yds. NNE of the church (No.130). The base is circular, measuring about 2 ft. 1 1/2 in. in diameter by 1 ft. 2 in. high, and it has evidently supported a column about 12 in. in diameter. On its upper surface there are four dowel-holes.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1933

The cross remains as described above.

Information from OS (J C Armitage) 8 February 1966

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions