Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stobs, Barns Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Stobs, Barns Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Barnes Viaduct; Border Union Railway

Canmore ID 55164

Site Number NT50NW 25.01

NGR NT 50478 09828

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55164

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Cavers
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT50NW 25.01 50478 09828

Barnes Viaduct is situated about 100m N of Stobs Station House and spans the Barnes Burn and the minor road leading to Barnes farmsteading. A four arch viaduct with earth embankments formerly carrying a double track railway. It was completed around 1860 by The North British Railway (NBR) as part of The Border Union Railway connecting Hawick to Carlisle.

The viaduct is visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 19, 3402-3403, flown 15 April 1946) and on a later sortie photographed in 1965 (OS/65/4, 307-308, flown 29 March 1965).

Information from RCAHMS

The railway viaduct is owned by Railtrack (formerly British Rail), and access permissions should be sought from them. The RCAHMS photographed the viaduct at deck level from the adjacent property. The deck area has recently been cleared of trees and some repair work carried out to ensure the structure is in a sound condition.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, AL), 19 May 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions