Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wauchope Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Wauchope Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Wauchope Farm

Canmore ID 55141

Site Number NT50NE 4

NGR NT 57939 08363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55141

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hobkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT50NE 4 57939 08363

(NT 5793 0836) Wauchope Tower (NR) (site of)

(Site indicated by a pecked rectangle, about 12 m N-S by 9 m.)

OS 25" map (1967)

Wauchope was in the possession of the Turnbulls in 1530 and in the early 17th century.

OPS 1851

The site of this keep or tower, which belonged to the Turnbulls, can be distinctly traced by the foundation stones. The walls were removed about 60 years ago.

Name Book 1857

No structural remains survive.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1931.

Wauchope Tower

(site of) [NAT]

(depicted as hatched rectangle at NT 57939 08363]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions