Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Luffness House, Dovecot

Dovecot (16th Century)

Site Name Luffness House, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Doocot; Luffness Dovecot; Luffness Estate

Canmore ID 55038

Site Number NT48SE 16

NGR NT 47572 80472

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Aberlady
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT48SE 16 47572 80472.

(NT 47572 80472) Dovecot (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

This fine late 16th century (J Whitaker 1938) dovecot stands in the grounds of Luffness House (NT48SE 1). Circular in shape, it is 18ft high with walls 3ft thick. There are three string courses. The lowest is about 6ft 6 ins from the ground, the next is equidistant and the third forms a rim round the flat roof. In the centre of the roof is a small circular lantern, the sides of which are pierced by eight entrance holes. In the interior there are 500 nesting places.

C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1978

This dovecot is as described.

Visited by OS (SFS) 16 July 1975.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.


Field Visit (3 July 1913)

One hundred yards east of the house is a fine 16th century dovecot, circular on plan and rising in three stages to a wall-head cornice enriched with a billet ornament (fig. 21 [SC 1125057]).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 3 July 1913.

Photographic Survey (September 1960 - October 1961)

Photographic survey of dovecots in East Lothian by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1960-1.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions