Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Leaston House

Carved Stone (Period Unknown)

Site Name Leaston House

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unknown)

Canmore ID 54771

Site Number NT46SE 13

NGR NT 483 634

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54771

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Humbie (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT46SE 13 483 634.

(NT 483 634) In a rockery bordering the lawn north of Leaston House is a slab of freestone 2'5" high, 1'9" wide and 6 1/2" thick, bearing five concentric rings, the largest being 1'3" in diameter (RCAHMS 1924).

Information from R W B Morris, 20 January 1975.

This stone could not be located. The new tenant could provide no information.

Visited by OS (SFS) 7 August 1975

Activities

Field Visit (9 April 1920)

SCULPTURED STONE.In a rockery bordering the lawn north of the house is a slab of freestone 6 ½ inches thick, 2 feet 5 inches above ground and 1 foot 9 inches in greatest width ([RCAHMS 1924], fig. 9). The surface is fairly smooth, and on it are inscribed five concentric rings, the greatest diameter being 1 foot 3 inches. The incisions appear to have been executed with a pick or some similar percussing tool, and the inner rings are markedly less regular than the outer.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 9 April 1920

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions