Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crookston Old House

Lairds House (17th Century)

Site Name Crookston Old House

Classification Lairds House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old Crookston House

Canmore ID 54636

Site Number NT45SW 15

NGR NT 42463 52145

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54636

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Stow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT45SW 15 42463 52145.

(NT 4246 5214) Crookston Old House is a very attractive laird's house, now T-shaped, which has recently been restored. It seems to date from three distinct periods. The nucleus has been a tower of 15th or early 16th c date, forming the most eastern section of the 'T'; this seems to have been extended to the W in the 17th c and also in Victorian times, and the short S-facing wing has been further projected, in a style similar to the original, so that the building at first glance appears homogeneous. It is three storeys and a garret in height, the walls being harled rubble, whitewashed.

The original tower is said to have been built in 1446 by John de Borthwick; the house is still owned by the Borthwick family.

N Tranter 1962

Crookston Old House is as described. It is of little interest architecturally.

Visited by OS (BS) 8 August 1975

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions