Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Channelkirk Church

Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Channelkirk Church

Classification Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaques And Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 54590

Site Number NT45SE 22

NGR NT 48152 54505

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54590

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Channelkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT45SE 22 48152 54505

(NT 4815 5450) Allan considers that the original church of Channelkirk, which was dedicated to St Cuthbert, came into existence between the 7th and 9th centuries. (This appears to be supported by the find of a long cist in the churchyard - see NT45SE 8). It became a property of Dryburgh Abbey in the 12th century, and a church at Channelkirk was consecrated by Bishop de Bernham in 1241. In 1627, Channelkirk church is mentioned as being in the usual form of a cross; the choir was roofless. In 1653, ten thousand divots were used in repairing it; it was first roofed with slates in 1724.

The present church was built in 1817. The old structure was much smaller, and had an earthen floor; its foundations are said to be visible below the flooring of the present church. Many bones and skulls were dug up from the centre of the old structure when the present church was being built. Part of the right arm of a cross, now attached to the E gable of the present church, may have come from the earlier structure.

A Allan 1900

There is no evidence of an earlier church at this site; a few of the gravestones around the churchyard date from the 17th century.

Visited by OS (BS) 5 August 1975

NT 4813 5451 A watching brief was carried out in May 2003 during the controlled topsoil stripping of a proposed car park at Channelkirk Church (NT45SE 22). No features of archaeological interest were recorded.

Report lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Rev. John M Shields.

M Johnson 2003

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Channelkirk - Ruinous condition of the Kirk.

Henry Home, Minister at Channelkirk, complains that he hardly dare sit in the

kirk in case the roof falls in. He asks that money from the vacant stipend should

be used to cover the cost of repairs.

Letter from Henry Home to the Earl of Marchmont.

1707 GD 158/1162

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions