Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Dola

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Kiln(S) (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dola

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Kiln(S) (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 5456

Site Number NC60NW 4

NGR NC 609 075

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5456

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lairg
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC60NW 4 609 075.

(Area NC 6090 0757) Dola (NAT)

OS 6"map, Sutherlandshire, 2nd ed., (1908)

Doler: shown as a settlement of five buildings with arable.

W Roy 1747-55.

Within a prominent bank are the footings of twenty-two buildings, four kilns, and associated enclosures. The building walls are some 0.9m thick and average 0.4m high. The buildings vary in size from 35m by 4m to 8m by 4m.

An area of depopulation centred NC 6080 0723 contains eight buildings, a kiln and associated enclosures. The remains of the buildings consist of the wall footings, 0.4m high on average, the walls being some 0.9m thick. The buildings vary in size from 22m by 4m to 4m by 3m.

Surveyed at 1:10,560.

Visited by OS (W D J) 2 July 1963.

No change to the previous field report.

Revised at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 5 December 1980.

A township, comprising six unroofed building, one enclosure, a field-system and a head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcv). One roofed building, twenty-four unroofed structures, of which twenty are buildings, nine enclosures, a field-system and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1992).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 20 November 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions