Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caddonlee

Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caddonlee

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54413

Site Number NT43NW 7

NGR NT 4396 3551

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54413

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Caddonfoot
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NW 7 4396 3551.

(NT 4396 3551) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

This fort stands on the summit of a level hilltop at 638ft OD. Most of it, in a cultivated field, has been obliterated, but its outline can be seen on air photographs.

Visible on AP's (106G.Scot.UK 18:7140-2)

The remainder lies on a strip of comparatively undisturbed ground, bounded on the SE by the field dyke and on the NW by the crest of a steep slope. The existing remains consist of two short sections of the defences, each terminated by the dyke and the slope. Each section embodies fragments of three parallel banks, the maximum distance between the inner- most fragments being 380ft. All three banks are best preserved in the SW section, where the outermost one is 4ft 9 ins high on its inner side, the middle one 3ft 9 ins, and the innermost one 2ft 6 ins. All are grass-covered, but an intermittent line of boulders, 30ft in length, can be seen at ground level on the outer side of the innermost bank in the NE section.

A fragment of a glass armlet and part of the upper stone of a beehive quern from this site are in the NMAS.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1950; H E Kilbride-Jones 1938

The ground outside on the NE is cut up with irregular low mounds and ridges for about 100 yds along the ridge.

D Christison 1895

This fort is as described and planned by the RCAHMS, except that the distance separating the inner ramparts is some 150.0m and not about

115.0m (380ft). A small scooped enclosure, near the NE end of the fort, is possibly associated with the old field bank which runs from its N side through the NE defences of the fort.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 January 1966

No change to the previous information. Published survey (25") correct. Visited by OS (MJF) 29 November 1979

A spindle whorl from this site is in Wilton Lodge Museum, Hawick (HAKMG 4195).

Museum Catalogue 1981

Activities

Note (30 September 2015 - 24 May 2016)

This fort is situated on the summit of the low hill overlooking the roundabout at the junction of the A72 and A707 public roads. A steep escarpment bounds the NW margin of the summit and has escaped cultivation, but the gentler slopes to the S and E lie within improved fields, while the narrow strip between the upper boundary of the fields, which traverses the fort from NE to SW, and the escarpment also bears traces of extensive rig and furrow. Nevertheless, the stubs of three ramparts with intermediate ditches can be seen in this strip of ground at either end of the fort, those on the SW being rather better preserved and forming a belt some 18m deep, while cropmarks have revealed the two ditches in the fields to the SE; indeed the circuit probably once extended along the escarpment on the NW, where the ramparts are reduced to distorted fragments of terraces on the slope. An elongated D-shape on plan, the featureless interior measures about 140m from from NE to SW by 90m transversely (0.12ha). No entrances have been observed.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 24 May 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC3545

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions