Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Windydoors Tower

Bastle (Post Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Windydoors Tower

Classification Bastle (Post Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Windydoors Farm, Bastle

Canmore ID 54398

Site Number NT43NW 2

NGR NT 43194 39843

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54398

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Caddonfoot
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NW 2 43194 39843

See also NT43NW 58.

(NT 4318 3984) Tower (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Windydoors Tower: This 16th century building is now represented by little more than its lowest storey, which is incorporated in a farm-steading (NT43NW 58). Oblong on plan, it measures 24ft 7 ins by 47ft 6 ins, and is built of roughly course boulder rubble.

A modern building is attached to either end; these are entered by doorways broken out in the old gables.

A third shed abuts the S wall, immediately adjoining the entrance to the basement. This entrance is the survivor of the two - upper and lower - that must originally have existed, as there never has been internal communication between the basement and the floor above. It opens directly into a vaulted cellar, lit by two narrow slits.

This is probably the mansion, the "Peillhouse" which in 1667 and 1695 is associated with the middle stead of Windiedoors.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1934

The rectangular vaulted basement or cellar with its moulded doorframe is generally well-preserved although the interior is damp and filled with debris. The stone-work around one of the two crude windows slits has collapsed and the roof is turf-covered. The four wall corners are all that now survive of the first floor. They are from 2.4m to 4.5m in height and yound bushes spring from various places on their foundations. Published survey (25") correct. (WDJ 5 January 1966)

Visited by OS (MJF) 28 November 1979

'Windiduris' accounted for three stedes in Ettrick Forest in 1456. It was held by William Ker of Seafurd in 1588.

M L Anderson 1967

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions