Boundary Marker (Period Unassigned)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Ashkirk
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
- Former County Selkirkshire
NT42SW 6 442 235.
(No Grid) Bishop's Stone (NAT)
(Undated) OS map.
'A large whinstone, called the Bishop-Stone, which used to lie on the ridge of the hill, is now built into the march-dyke between Woll and Hartwoodmyres, a few paces to the west of where it intersects the turnpike to Ashkirk. Beyond the initials of some passing loiterers, no marks are visible on the uncovered portions of the stone; and none, we are informed, were traceable on the rest before it was built in. Mayhap, it marked the bounds of abbey lands, or was set to mark the 'rest and be thankful' of some fair, round prelate, who loved to sit there and absorb the glorious view of Ettrick vale. Still more probably, Woll having been originally acquired from the Bishop of Glasgow, the stone was put there to indicate the limits of the bishop's territory'.
T Craig-Brown 1886.
The Bishop's Stone, Woll Rig. This stone, an undressed boulder measuring 5ft in length by 2ft 3 in in width, is built horizontally into the base of the dyke that forms the boundary between Ashkirk and Selkirk parishes, 22 yds W of the road over Woll Rig from Ashkirk to Ettrick Water.
The name suggests that it may originally have been erected to mark the boundary of the territory belonging to the Bishop of Glasgow, who owned virtually the whole land of Ashkirk parish from at least as early as the beginning of the 12th century.
A Lawrie 1905; RCAHMS 1957, visited 1950.
NT 4425 2356. The stone is as described by RCAHMS: it lies across the base of the boundary dyke.
Visited by OS (EGC) 27 June 1962.
Bishop's Stone (NR)
OS 1:10,560 map, 1964.