Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Synton House

Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Synton House

Classification Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54325

Site Number NT42SE 5

NGR NT 48787 22355

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54325

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ashkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42SE 5 487 223.

Synton House and Carved Stones. The RCAHMS Inventory for Selkirkshire (1957) states "... The disposition of the windows, however, and the V-jointed quoins of red sandstone would agree with a date of construction in the second half of the 18th century; and it is probable that the house was, in fact, built at the same time as the stables, which are dated to 1777 by inscribed stones. The NW. wing, which now occupies the space between the house and the back of the stables, is evidently later than both.

Two fragments of an inscribed door-lintel from an older house, on or near the site of which the existing mansion is believed to stand, have been reset in the walls for preservation..." and continues, "...the inscription may be restored conjecturally as follows: GEORGE SCOT IN SYNTOVN AND MARG/RET EDMESTOVN HIS SP(OVS IN THE) / ZER OF GOD 1570 THE HEAR T(O WALTER SCOT)..." The Inventory then continues with an explanation of the inscription.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1953

Synton House has been demolished and there is no trace of the architectural fragments that are said to have been incorporated into it.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/JRS) 9 September 1993.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

NMRS Library - Newscuttings

Scotsman, 25/07/1967, Photograph

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (14 January 2013)

NT 48667 22332 An evaluation was carried out on 14 January 2013 at Synton Barn Cottage prior to the construction of a house, garage and workshop. The evaluation aimed to establish the exact location and condition of the remains of Synton House, which was built in the 18th century and demolished in the 1970s. Archive material suggests that Synton House may have been built on the site of a 16th-century building and possibly incorporated some elements of this structure.

The remains of Synton House were located and many of the walls survive to c1m in height. A large number of pieces of shaped red sandstone masonry, including part of a chimney and a selection of ceramic tiles, were recovered from the rubble. These have been retained by the client for reuse.

Archive: RCAHMS and Scottish Borders Council HER (intended)

Funder: Mr Dominic Ware

Jenni Morrison, Addyman Archaeology, 2013

(Source: DES)

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Previously also listed under duplicate site NT96SW 510 -CANCELLED. HES (LCK) 11.6.2024

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions