Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Wark

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Old Wark

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Selkirk, Old Wark

Canmore ID 54278

Site Number NT42NW 14

NGR NT 4 2

NGR Description Unlocated

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54278

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Selkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42NW 14 unlocated

For successor Newark Castle (NT 4208 2939), see NT42NW 1.

The forerunner of Newark Castle (NT42NW 1 - first recorded in 1423 J B Paul (ed.) 1984) is marked on Pont's map of about 1608 (J Blaeu 1654) as the 'Oldworck' and sited almost half a mile east of the 'Castel of Newoorck', but according to local tradition it stood beside the Newark Burn, which flows into Yarrow about half a mile SE of Newark Castle.

A group of cottages named 'Old Wark' is marked on the OS 6" (1858) at NT 4250 2862.

The Berwickshire Naturalist Club places it in the vicinity of the Duchess's Bower on the summit of a high ridge running out from the side of Bow Hill.

Hist Berwickshire Natur Club 1916; RCAHMS 1957

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions