Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Selkirk, Philiphaugh Mill

Woollen Mill (19th Century)

Site Name Selkirk, Philiphaugh Mill

Classification Woollen Mill (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Thomas Walker; Roberts' Spinning Mill

Canmore ID 54247

Site Number NT42NE 49

NGR NT 4576 2808

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54247

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Selkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42NE 49 4576 2808

Not to be confused with Philiphaugh Sawmill (NT 4502 2773), for which see NT42NE 53.

Philiphaugh mill is driven by water alone.

D Bremner 1969.

(Location cited as NT 457 282). Philiphaugh Mill. Two ranges of one-storey buildings, the older dating from 1876 with a bellcote. The main power for the mills is supplied by two water turbines by John MacDonald and Co, Glasgow (1922) and there is a 250hp twin tandem-compound mill engine by Petrie of Rochdale (1912) which was used as a standby until 1972. The single Lancashire boiler is still used for heating and process steam. The engine house is a particularly neat rubble structure with round-headed windows.

J R Hume 1976.

Built in 1856 by Thomas Walker, the mill took its power from the lade which also supplied the sawmill at Philiphaugh. Following financial problems Philiphaugh Mill was acquired by brothers George and James Roberts in 1870. They double the available manufacturing space and installed 10 new sets of carding machines. These sets included condensers able to prepare wool for the new self-active mules which had been introduced in 1865. In 1973 the mill closed. The premises are currently being used by a fish farm.

Information taken from 'The Little Guide to Selkirk Mills', c. 2000

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions