Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Whitslaid Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Whitslaid Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 54137

Site Number NT41NW 6

NGR NT 4285 1796

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54137

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ashkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT41NW 6 4285 1796

Not to be confused with Whitslaid Tower (NT 5575 4454) in Legerwood parish, for which see NT54SE 1.

The foundations of Whitslaid Tower were dug up 'some years ago' for the sake of the lime.

Name Book 1858

The foundations of Whitslaid Tower can still be traced under an ash tree in the garden S of the farmhouse. The remains of a metalled road were also exposed by the farmer in the marshy hollow NE of the tower site. In 1502 the tower was burned by Hector Lauder and some members of the Armstrong family.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1934 and 1946

No trace of the tower can be seen in the garden S of the farmhouse of Whitslaid. However, outside the garden, on the S side, are the turf footings of three probable buildings varying in size from 7m by 4m to 9m by 5m. Between these fo otings and the garden wall is a tree stump in the top of a stony mound of indefinite shape; this stump may be the remains of the tree mentioned by RCAHMS. Fragments of banking are evident in and around the site of the tower as shown on OS 6" map, 1900, but are too indefinite for survey.

No traces of the old metalled road mentioned by RCAHMS were seen.

Building remains surveyed at 1:10560.

Visited by OS 23 July 1962.

Architecture Notes

NT41NW 6 4285 1796

Not to be confused with Whitslaid Tower (NT 55756 44546) in Legerwood parish, for which see NT54SE 1; or Whitslade Tower (NT 1125 3506) in Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho parish, for which see NT13NW 11.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions