Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Todrig Tower House

Farmhouse (19th Century), Farmstead (19th Century), Tower House (17th Century)

Site Name Todrig Tower House

Classification Farmhouse (19th Century), Farmstead (19th Century), Tower House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 54136

Site Number NT41NW 5

NGR NT 42963 19685

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54136

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ashkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT41NW 5 42963 19685

NT 430 197 Todrig. This house was the home of the Scotts of Todrig, cadets of Whitslaid (RCAHMS 1957, No. 49). It is situated about 3 miles SW. of Ashkirk at the confluence of the Todrig and Langhope burns. It is an oblong harled building running E and W and containing three storeys. The W half dates only from 1862, but the E half is a 17th-century tower-house which has been entirely modernised inside although its exterior has been little altered.

The original entrance, now built up, can be traced near the centre of the S wall. The head is semi-circular and, like the jambs, is moulded with a small quirked edge-roll. On either side of it there is a modern window. Apart from these, the remainder of the windows are original. One has chamfered arrises, the others are backset and rounded. Traces of a large built-up window, square-headed and with a relieving-arch above, can be seen in the centre of the N wall.

There are two panels in the adjacent farm buildings. The upper one bears the date 1698 while the lower one exhibits the initials G P at the top, a lozenge at the centre and the inscription REBUILT / 1833 at the foot.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1947 and 1954

NT 4294 1963 The house 'Todrig' is generally as described by RCAHMS, as are the two panels in the adjacent buildings.

Visited by OS (RDL) 16 July 1962

Architecture Notes

NT41NW 5 42963 19685

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions