Chapel (Period Unassigned)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Teviothead
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Roxburgh
- Former County Roxburghshire
NT40NW 9 4035 0549.
(NT 4035 0549) Chapel (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1923)
Chapel, Falnash (Site). No structural remains survive.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 1932
'A church stood in the Thorneyhaugh at Falnash...but no trace of this building can now be seen.'
J Robson 1893
Sometime between 1705 and 1722 a church was erected at Thorneyhaugh close to the present road from Henderson's Knowe to Falnash. This church was repaired in 1722 and served until 1789, when another church was erected on the other side of the Teviot.
E Barton 1937
No structural remains of this chapel survive.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 September 1960
An archaeological assessment undertaken by GUARD of the proposed upgrading of the A7 between Dovecot Bridge and Castleweary around the village of Teviothead identified a number of archaeological sites.
The current church site at NT 403 051 has three previous forebears, one inside the churchyard at NT 403 051 (NT40NW 8) and one at NT 403 054. The third is supposed by tradition to lie within the Glebe lands at NT 404 049 (NT40NW 9), however no surface remains are evident.
Sponsor: Scottish Office (Roads Directorate)
J A Atkinson 1993