Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Penchrise Pen

Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Fort (Prehistoric)

Site Name Penchrise Pen

Classification Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Fort (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 54052

Site Number NT40NE 5

NGR NT 4907 0623

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54052

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Cavers
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT40NE 5 4907 0623.

(NT 4907 0623) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Fort and Enclosure, Penchrise Pen: The summit of Penchrise Pen (1438 ft OD) is an almost bare, flat-topped cone of rock, about 100 ft in height, with two natural shelves to NE. This area, measuring 345 ft from NE to SW by 270 ft transversely, is enclosed within the very much wasted remains of three ramparts with entrances in NW and NE; on the S the bare rock is too steep to support a rampart, and in the SE they are reduced to terraces.

A bank, 60 ft long by 25 ft broad, in the interior restricts access from the NW. On the shelf just above it, a low bank, 26 ft in diameter, may represent a hut circle. A low earthen bank borders the NW side of the upper terrace, and near its E end there is a crescentic depression.

A triangular annexe, measuring 220 ft by 130 ft, lies on a shelf immediately below and W of the cone. It is formed by a single earthen rampart and external quarry-ditch, now visible as a terrace, 10 ft broad. The entrance is in the N. Three hut circles, now visible as slight trenches, lie in the interior, where there is also a shallow scooped hollow about 12 ft in diameter.

An oval enclosure, bounded by the remains of a low, spread, earthen bank and measuring 225 ft by 165 ft, lies immediately NE of the fort, partly blocking its NE entrance. There are traces of a quarry-ditch, and an entrance, in the NE. The interior is featureless.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 7 April 1965

The fort and enclosure are as previously described.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (JRL) 13 December 1979

The fort and enclosure are visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 433, 4200-4201, flown 24 June 1945).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2006

Activities

External Reference (20 July 2015)

The entry in the Schedule of Monuments relating to this monument was amended in 2015.

Information from Historic Scotland, 20th July 2015

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions