Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveresk, Inveresk Village Road, The Manor House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inveresk, Inveresk Village Road, The Manor House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 53822

Site Number NT37SW 170

NGR NT 34825 71907

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53822

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SW 170.00 34825 71907 House

NT37SW 170.01 34818 71941 North Pavilion

NT37SW 170.02 34854 71898 East Pavilion

NT37SW 170.03 c. 3475 7190 West Pavilion

NT37SW 170.04 34796 71822 Dovecot

Architecture Notes

This was built for Archibald Shiells, whose monogram and the date 1748 are carved in the pediment. The ogee-roofed pavilions, probably of the 17th century, stand forward on the road line, and one of the curved link walls remains despite 19th century additions. The gatepiers are early 19th century, but the big stone vases on top of them are original. The house is of three storeys and a basement; internally, there is a scale-and-platt stair, which may well have belonged to an earlier, 17th century house.

C McWilliam 1978

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

National Library of Scotland

Ref: MS 3812. Folio 5.

A draft manuscript advertisement (eighteenth century) of the house of Archibald Shiells, addressed to Archibald Shiells at Inveresk.

"To be sold and entred immediatly, a convenient well furnished house, lately built, and 2 Pavilions consisting of 16 fine Rooms with several large bed closets, Hay loft, coach house, Barn Byre, two Pidgeon houses and several other Conveniences, pleasantly situated on the south side of the village of Inveresk .... well laid out garden, .... stone and lime walls, orchard, small grass park. 4 acres near the Toun of Inveresk on the road leading to Dalkeith. Particulars at Mr Alex Orr Clerk to the Signet."

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions