Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Musselburgh, 8 Eskside West, Eskside House

Wall (19th Century)

Site Name Musselburgh, 8 Eskside West, Eskside House

Classification Wall (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) North Esk Manse; Garden Wall

Canmore ID 53779

Site Number NT37SW 132

NGR NT 34301 72785

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53779

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Publication Account (1996)

One noted structure stands in the grounds of Eskside House, which was built c 1810 by the paymaster of the Black Watch: the octagonal pavilion, No 8 Eskside West figure 20, is a remnant from a previous dwelling. Dated 1776, it retains its slated roof with urn finial, chimney in the form of an urn and its original staircase. As this was the study of Gilbert Stuart, one of the originators of the first Edinburgh Review, many of the Edinburgh literati came here for conversation (see p 42). It is another reminder of the close ties of Musselburgh and Edinburgh.

Information from ‘Historic Musselburgh: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1996).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions