Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Musselburgh, 95 Millhill, Red House

House (18th Century)

Site Name Musselburgh, 95 Millhill, Red House

Classification House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Industrial School; Home For Destitute Boys

Canmore ID 53764

Site Number NT37SW 119

NGR NT 34465 72800

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53764

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Publication Account (1996)

A little to the north of High Street, near the Esk, at the west end of Millhill stands The Red House. Built possibly as early as 1734, this impressive sandstone three-storey mansion was built as the town house of the Edmonstone family, the rural policies of Edmonstone being south of Stoneyhill, to the west of the town. It retains much of its original character, in spite of alterations to accommodate its function as an industrial school in the latter part of the nineteenth century, and is a reminder that Musselburgh, even in the earlier eighteenth century, attracted a modest number of elite families to settle.

Information from ‘Historic Musselburgh: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1996).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions