Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestonpans, Kirk Street, Prestongrange Church And War Memorial

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Prestonpans, Kirk Street, Prestongrange Church And War Memorial

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Prestonpans Parish Church; Jacobite Memorial

Canmore ID 53658

Site Number NT37SE 18

NGR NT 38820 74558

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53658

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Prestonpans
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SE 18 38820 74558.

(NT 3882 7455) Prestonpans church, once a vicarage belonging to Holyrood Abbey, was burnt down by Hereford in 1544. A new church was built in 1595 by John Davidson on ground granted by the laird. This church was almost certainly a rectangle with a W tower. The present church was erected in 1774, incorporating the old tower and other fragments of the earlier church. Additions and alterations were made c.1890. (See also NT37SE 19).

NSA 1845 (W Cunningham); G Hay 1957; H Scott 1915

As described and in use. The W end and tower have been cement-rendered. There is a blocked doorway in the S- probably of the 16th century structure.

Visited by OS (JP) 4 January 1972

The present church was erected in 1774 incorporating elements of the 16th century church. The church is in use and is as described in 1972.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 22nd February 1996.

Activities

Photographic Survey (September 1962)

Survey of Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans, East Lothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1962.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions