Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crichton Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Crichton Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Crichton Kirk; Collegiate Church Of Ss. Mary And Kentigern; Crichton Collegiate Church

Canmore ID 53593

Site Number NT36SE 6

NGR NT 38082 61614

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53593

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Crichton
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SE 6.00 38082 61614

(NT 3809 6160) Crichton Kirk (NAT)

Formerly Crichton Collegiate Church AD 1449 (NR)

OS 6" map (1966).

NT36SE 6.01 NT 38083 61580 Churchyard

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes the church as 'A cruciform stone edifice in an antique style of architecture and dating prior to 1449 at which period it was made a "Collegiate Church" by Sir W Crichton, Lord Chancellor of Scotland it is still the parish work and contains 600 sitiings, but its audience seldom numbers over 100. The parishoners being mostly Free Church and other kinds of dissenters'.

Name Book 1852.

Crichton Collegiate Church was founded by William, Lord Crichton on the 26th December 1449, in the parish church. After the Reformation, the building was unusable (see NT36SE 4) but was re-created the parish church in 1641. It was thoroughly restored in 1898.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915; D E Easson 1957.

Crichton Kirk, as described, is in normal use.

Visited by OS (BS), 24 October 1975.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Plans:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts

Attic 2, Bin 13, Bag 2 Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson 1951

NMRS Printroom

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc no 1997/39

the tower - 3 prints

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Library MSS of General Hutton vol 1 no. 72 - plan of church 1817

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Aerial Photography (1971)

Aerial survey of Crichton Castle by John Dewar in 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions