Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinloch

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kinloch

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kinloch House; Kyle Of Tongue

Canmore ID 5353

Site Number NC55SE 17

NGR NC 558 530

NGR Description Centred NC 558 530

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5353

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Tongue
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC55SE 17 centred 558 530

For house-platform at NC 5581 5285, see NC55SE 28.

(NC 558 531) An unnamed depopulated settlement in existence in 1747 and consisting of the ruins of about twenty-five buildings and enclosures, of which about five appear to be long-houses. Being part of 'Lord Reay's Country' it was probably not cleared until c.1855. Talbot notes that a foundation at NC 556 532 is bow-sided, some 17m by 10m with straight gables, 6m long. It is aligned roughly NW-SE on flat ground and rigs encroach slightly upon it.

W Roy 1747-55; OS 6" map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1874); J Prebble 1963; E Talbot 1973.

This abandoned township is on the west shore of the Kyle of Tongue. The remains inside an extensive head-dyke comprise a close grouping of five long-houses, ranging from 15.0 by 4.5m to 28.0 by 4.0m, with accompanying enclosures and subsidiary buildings; down the slope rig-and-furrow covers much of a raised beach. The foundation noted by Talbot, at NC 5566 5307, is in this cultivated, level ground. It is a bow-sided enclosure measuring approximately 14.5m, NE - SW, by 8.0m internally; the wall, up to 0.7m high and an estimated 1.2m wide, is partially turf-covered but appears of roughly coursed medium to small stone. No entrance is visible. An arc of residual walling sub-divides the interior. The enclosure seems more mature than another south-west of it in the untilled ground and it may be from an early phase of the deserted township.

Re-surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (JM), 20 November 1978.

A township comprising twenty-five unroofed structures, of which fourteen are buildings, six are structures and five are enclosures, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxv). Ten unroofed structures, of which eight are enclosures and two are buildings, one of which is sub-divided, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1990).

Information from RCAHMS (FO), 18 August 1995.

NC 55668 53056 Enclosure surveyed as part of survey in the Lochan Hakel area carried out by students from University of Aberdeen in July 2006.

J Kirby, D Marquardt, H MacFarlane and S Duthie, 21 April 2007.

NMTRS, MS/2999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions