Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith Grammar School

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalkeith Grammar School

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dalkeith High School; Gibcon Plastics

Canmore ID 53468

Site Number NT36NW 4

NGR NT 33220 67495

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53468

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Dalkeith
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NW 4 c. 33 67.

A list of masters of the Grammar School at Dalkeith (NT 3367) commences at 1582. No other reference is made to the age of the school.

NSA 1845

Standing building recording; evaluation NT 3322 6749 A programme of historic building recording and evaluation was carried out between September and December 2005 in advance of demolition. The exercise revealed that the original

building was the second Dalkeith Grammar School, constructed c 1760, and possibly the design of James Adam, brother of Robert.

In the early 19th century a number of outbuildings were added to the SE. The building was further extended in the 1870s to accommodate an infant school. A large extension was added in the 1970s to the S, when the building and land was purchased to be used as a plastics factory.

The subsequent evaluation consisted of a supervised topsoil strip to natural geology in the southern part of the development area, concentrating on the areas to be disturbed by the new build. In total, an area c 15 x 10m was opened. The evaluation recovered only a very limited assemblage of 18th- and 19th-century pottery sherds and pipe stems within a buried topsoil/garden soil.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Peter Walker Group.

D Sproat and L Dunbar 2005

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

Behind the church of St Nicholas are the remnants of Dalkeith Grammar School figure 19.H, now assimilated into a workshop. This building was put up in the eighteenth century, although the church had long had connections with the grammar school.

Information from ‘Historic Dalkeith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions