Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Woolandslee Tower

Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Woolandslee Tower

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Woollenslee

Canmore ID 53228

Site Number NT34SW 1

NGR NT 3178 4481

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53228

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Innerleithen
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT34SW 1 3178 4481.

(NT 3178 4481) Woolandslee Tower (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1964)

Only the lowest storey of Woolandslee Tower survives, it measures 27'9" N-S x 21'6" E-W over walls 3'5" thick. The N gable wall, however, has disappeared, and the original length of the tower cannot be determined. The existing N wall of the tower has been largely rebuilt, but may embody the remains of an original internal partition wall; the S wall has also been partly rebuilt.

A few feet NW of the tower, and joined to it by a modern wall, there are the lower courses of the walls of another rectangular building; both this and the tower are incorporated within sheepfolds. At the NE angle of these folds are the last traces of another rectangular building, while 50 yds N are the remains of two more buildings, represented only by turf mounds.

The oldest of these remains appears to be the tower-house, of 16th century date. Some of the other buildings may be contemporary, but others are probably later in date.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959

The vaulted remains of this tower are as described.

Visited by OS (EGC) 16 June 1961 and (BS) 28 August 1974.

One roofed building, which is the tower house, two unroofed buildings, one of which is annotated 'Sheepfold' and two enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Peeblesshire 1859, sheet x). Two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 21 December 2000.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions