Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eldinhope Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Eldinhope Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 53094

Site Number NT32SW 1

NGR NT 30484 23754

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53094

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Yarrow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT32SW 1 30484 23754.

(NT 30482375) ELDINHOPE TOWER (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1900)

Eldinhope Tower. On the right bank of Eldinhope Burn, about half a mile SE. of Eldinhope, there can be traced the grass-covered foundations of a rectangular building measuring about 33ft from NW to SE by 22ft. from NE to SW over walls about 5ft 6 in thick. On the NW there is a small enclosure, which may have been a garden; its drystone wall seems later than the tower.

In 1492 the forest stead of "Aldinhop" was in the hands of Walter Scott of Howpaslie (Acts of the Lords of Council in Civil Causes, i, 1478-95, 293). It then passed to his kin, the Scotts of Branxholme, whose descendant, the Earl of Buccleugh, owned the place in 1628.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1934

Remains consist of rubble walls, 12 in high.

Information from R Santen 17 March 1953

The remains consist of a foundation 9.7m long by 4.3m on the west side and 5.7m on the east, marked by a turf-covered wall 0.5m high. The site is obscured by debris.

The adjacent enclosure, linked to the building by a wall, and the fact that the site is on the floor of a valley immediately overlooked by steep slopes, suggest that it is a farmstead rather than a defensive structure.

A more likely site for a tower is where the modern farm house of Eldinhope (about half a mile to the north) is situated - commanding the junction of three valleys.

Visited by OS (RDL) 20 June 1962

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions