Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Deuchar Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Deuchar Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 53062

Site Number NT32NE 3

NGR NT 3597 2804

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53062

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Yarrow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT32NE 3 3597 2804.

(NT 35982805) Deuchar Tower(NR) (Remains of).

OS 6" map (1900)

Deuchar Tower (Site). Writing in 1722, John Hodge notes "ane old toure called Dewchare touer" as standing near Deuchar Bridge (W Macfarlane 1908). All that can be seen today is an indefinite assemblage of mounds and a core of rubble masonry near the entrance to the cot-house garden, situated on the high left bank of the Deuchar Burn about a quarter of a mile E of Yarrow Kirk (NT32NE 9)

In 1502 James IV granted a nine-years' tack of the "sted of Duchir" etc., to Alex. Hume, son of Lord Hume. (Register of the Privy Seal of Scotland 1488-1529, No.809) In 1643 the lands were in the hands of James Murray of Deuchar and they were subsequently owned by the Dewars of Deuchar. (T Craig-Brown 1886)

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1934

"Only remaining visible evidence is a small earth and rubble wall varying from 12" on the North, South and West to 6' on the East."

Information from R Santen 11 March 1953

The remains of the tower are generally as described by RCAHMS. It appears likely that the SW wall of the cot-house garden is partly

formed by the ruined NE wall of the tower, here 1.17m high and 0.6m thick. Viewed from the NE the tower remains have a vault-like effect. Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (EGC) 4 June 1962

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions