Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Bogleys

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Bogleys

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 52877

Site Number NT29NE 1

NGR NT 2956 9501

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT29NE 1 2956 9501.

(Name NT 2950 9504) Standing Stone (NR).

OS 6"map, (1938)

A stone to the north of Dysart is the traditional site of a battle with the Danes about AD. 874.

OSA 1794.

A perpendicular block of Red Sandstone, 6 feet high, by 3 feet wide by 20 inches thick, was lifted and replaced a few years ago, butnothing was found.

Name Book 1855.

High up in the north angle of the west face of this standing stone there is a small cavity very suggestive of a cup mark.

RCAHMS 1933.

NT 2956 9501. The standing stone is as described above, except that the alleged cup-mark would appear to be caused by weathering.

Visited by OS (J L D) 4 October 1954.

The stone is in an excellent state of preservation.

Visited by OS (D S) 14 April 1960.

As part of an Environmental Assessment associated with a proposed opencast coal mine, a desk-based assessment and field survey were conducted. Of the 11 sites identified within the development area, Bogleys Farm (NT29NE 39) and Bogleys standing stone (NMRS NT29NE 01) were the only monuments considered to be of archaeological significance and to be of value to the cultural heritage of the area. A detailed mitigation strategy has been recommended.

Detailed reports will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: J W H Ross & Co. for Gillespie Group.

C McGill 1998

NT 2956 9501 The excavation of a 20m square trench around Bogleys Standing Stone (NT29NE 1) was prompted by the imminent extraction of coal by open cast mining. The stone itself was lifted and it remains in storage. It measures 2.7 x 1 x 0.5m and displays no signs of any markings. It had stood within a socket, 0.7 x 0.6m, which had been cut into the sandstone bedrock to a depth of 0.9m. To the NE of the stone were four truncated cremation pits, each containing calcined bone and charcoal. Another possible cremation was uncovered adjacent to the stone, although this could have been a residual deposit. No artefacts were retrieved from the excavation, except for the base of a large 18th-century glass bottle, perhaps placed deliberately when earlier investigators disturbed the stone.

A further 444m2 was excavated in slit trenches radiating outwards from the main excavation area. Nothing of archaeological interest was uncovered in any of them.

Sponsor: G M Mining Ltd.

J Lewis 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions