Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Burntisland Harbour, 'cromwell's Dyke'

Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Burntisland Harbour, 'cromwell's Dyke'

Classification Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Burntisland Docks

Canmore ID 52801

Site Number NT28NW 30.02

NGR NT 2281 8562

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Burntisland
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT28NW 30.02 2281 8562

(NT 2281 8562) Cromwell's Dyke (NR) (Site of)

OS 25" map, (1943)

A sort of causeway of drystone made to protect and enclose the harbour; there is a foot road along its top leading to an island on the SW of the harbour. The authorities quoted say this was built by Cromwell according to his agreement with the Town Authorities for the surrender of the town in the 17th century. It is also known by the name of 'Cromwell's Dyke'.

Alternative name - 'West Bulwark' known in 1632.

Name Book 1854.

No information regarding this site was obtained during field work.

Visited by OS (A C) 11 March 1959.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions