Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Burntisland, East Head

Fortification (17th Century)

Site Name Burntisland, East Head

Classification Fortification (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Burntisland Harbour; East Head Fort; Cromwellian Fort

Canmore ID 52797

Site Number NT28NW 29

NGR NT 2306 8548

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52797

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Burntisland
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT28NW 29 2306 8548.

(NT 2306 8548) Elphinstone's plan of Burntisland, c.1745 shows a triangular-shaped fort at the SE corner of the harbour (NT28NW 30.00).

Information from J Elphinstone's Plan of Burntisland, scale 12 1/2 inches to 1 mile.

East Head Fort constructed c.1650 and still in existence in 1843, had 3 embrasures and was sited to resist landing parties.

A Young 1924.

A small portion of wall nearly semicircular shape of very strong masonry. The wall is between 3 and 4 feet thick, but some portions of it are nearly level with the ground. There is an old stone lighthouse (disused), in the OS 1st ed. map, on a part of it.

The site of this fort is now covered by harbour installations.

Visited by OS (A C) 11 March 1959.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions