Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, House Of Dean

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, House Of Dean

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dean House

Canmore ID 52615

Site Number NT27SW 145

NGR NT 237 740

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52615

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 145 237 740

The House of Dean, 17th-century home of the main branch of the Nisbet family, was demolished in 1845 to make way for the Dean Cemetery (centred NT 237 740). Painted panels from the ceiling of its gallery are in RMS (NMAS) (Acc Nos: KL 68-72), and a number of carved stones from the house were retained in the Cemetery.

D Wilson 1873; J Grant 1882; J Geddie 1908; RCAHMS 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions