Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 30-50 Morrison Street

Tenement(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 30-50 Morrison Street

Classification Tenement(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Barns; Kings Byres

Canmore ID 52589

Site Number NT27SW 121

NGR NT 2470 7320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes


Edinburgh, 6-32 Morrison Street.

ARCHITECT: William Burn, 1821.

Edinburgh, Castle Barns, 40-50 Morrison Street which was Category B Listed was demolished c. 1959. Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.


Publication Account (1951)

184. Castle Barns, Morrison Street.

All that survives of Castle Barns are two plain, oblong, rubble-built tenements (Numbers 40-44 Morrison Street) and their western neighbour (Number 50), none of which seem earlier than the middle of the 18th century. The larger house has three storeys and an attic, entrance to the upper floors being had from a semicircular stair-tower projecting behind into Orchardfield Court, which is itself entered from a central passage running beneath the building and arched at either end. On the ground floor there is a modern shop on each side of the passage. The first and second floors each have six windows to the front, while the attic is lit from a storm window on each side of a central gablet which contains two windows. The roof is pantiled. Each floor was a separate flat, and the interior is devoid of interest. The extension from the E. gable is of considerably later date; but the low pantiled building which extends westward from the other gable is contemporary, and is typical of the minor houses in Scottish country towns. It has two storeys and an attic, the first floor being entered by a forestair. The interior is again quite uninteresting.

RCAHMS 1951, visited c.1941


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions